Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

There is a kitten outside that seems to be in distress. I

Customer Question

There is a kitten outside that seems to be in distress. I fill a bowl of water and the kitten goes over and sits in the bowl full of water. Can you give me some idea what is going on and what I can do to help this kitten?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Other than sitting in the bowl of water, what other behaviors are you seeing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The kitten seems to be very weak. Did I mention this kitten is a stray?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it normal behavior for a kitten to sit in a bowl of water?
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

It's certainly not typical, but some cats actually do like water.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

I'm concerned about a couple different things from your description. She may have fleas - the water would be soothing and enough fleas can cause anemia in a young kitten. Also, if her behavior is off, this could indicate a neurologic problem. Since she has no known vaccine history, neurologic disease could be caused by rabies virus.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

If you could ensure that you will not get bitten, it would be best to have this little one examined by a local vet. You can try to entice her into a carrier with some canned food or tuna placed in the back of the crate or carrier, then close the door once she's inside.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never mind. The kitten died last night.
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

I'm so sorry. If you touched the kitten, I highly recommend that you contact animal control. The kitten's signs and death are suspicious for rabies, and if there is any chance you were exposed they will need to test the kitten.