Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I have a kitten who sneezes a few times a day - 3-4 sneezes

Customer Question
Hello! I have a foster...
Hello! I have a foster kitten who sneezes a few times a day - 3-4 sneezes in a row. There are no other symptoms, he is about 3 pounds. Should I give him L-lysine? Or just good nutrition and let his immune system kick in?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/10/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Your foster is most likely suffering from the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) which is expected to remiss unaided within 3 weeks. I rarely treat these kittens unless they become inappetent and require supplemental fluid and feedings. The use of l-lysine has become circumspect. Two large scale stuides in confirmed FHV-1 positive shelter cats revealed that those given l-lysine experienced higher morbidity (severity of symptoms) than those receiving placebo; hence, I don't recommend l-lysine's use any longer. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

thanks, ***** ***** l-lysine, is there any other supplement or specific food you would recommend to help fight off the virus?

There's nothing specific nor reliably effective in that manner. A high quality kitten food should suffice and obviate the need for you to supplement. Kittens should be vaccinated against FHV-1 as recommended by the American Association of Feline Practitioners - FVRCP (FVR is actually FHV-1) at 6-8 weeks, 8-11 weeks, and after 12 weeks of age. Presumptive worming with an over the counter product containing pyrantel pamoate every 2 weeks should help keep the kitten strong. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

ok, he had his first vaccine last week, how may rounds of deworming (when stool samples are negative) do you recommend ?

Because fecal ova and parasite exams are too often falsely negative, it's prudent to worm every two weeks until 10 weeks of age. That's the latest guideline from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention and Association of Veterinary Parasitologists.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian