Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Cat is coughing and then vomits just a little afterward

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Ive only heard her cough once a day and tiday it was twice but she inly vomited her food once
11/8/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 2 years ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

I am so sorry Mona is experiencing this. Coughing in cats is never normal. Unfortunately her signs are vague and could indicate one of many possible underlying causes ranging from heart worms to lungs worms to feline asthma to heart disease to fungal lung disease (depending on where you live) to pneumonia to fluid build-up in the lungs to cancer. That is a list of diverse issues, some easily treatable and some not as easily.

If she is also lethargy and not eating well then I must recommend you consider having her seen on emergency today. The sooner we start therapy (prescription therapy is probably the only way; I wish I had some excellent at-home recommendations but for coughing there is not much over-the-counter that will help and be safe in cats) there better her potential outcome. And, since some of the things I mentioned can be life-threatening (fluid build up or heart failure), this is why I recommend you not wait.

Now, if she is otherwise doing great - still grooming, eating/drinking normally, reasonably active - then you could monitor today but have her seen by her regular veterinarian tomorrow. But if she is having trouble breathing, a lot of cough/vomit and is not eating/drinking then I recommend you have her seen now.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

she is eating and acting normal. This is day number 4 and i havent heard any coughing yet. Could it b a cat cold since it is not frequent cough and shes acting and eating fine?

I'm sorry if I misunderstood but you had mentioned coughing above. Perhaps she gags which sounds like a cough in some cats and then brings up the vomitus? That makes sense.

Cats can be so tough to gauge if this is a serious issue or not. Since it sounds like she is eating normally and otherwise acting normally, you could safely monitor for a few days. But if she is having this vomit once to several times daily, then she really needs to see her veterinarian. This can be a symptom of a long list of possible problems that cause vomiting ranging from organ issue (liver, kidney) to ingested non-food object that is trapped in the system to chronic pancreatitis to intestinal worms and the list continues.

If she was my patient I might recommend you do a trial with Pepcid AC (famotidine 10mg - 1/4 tab once daily) which can really help with vomiting, and has no bad side effects. You can find this at any human pharmacy.

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified