Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I'm fostering a 4-5 week old kitten and the outer edge of

Customer Question

I'm fostering a 4-5 week old kitten and the outer edge of her ear feels crusty. The inside color is pinker than the other ear. Does she have mites?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

She might. The notoedric mange mite of cats (feine scabies) is intensely itchy, however, and first appears on the medial edges of the ear pinnae (flaps) and then spreads rapidly over the ears, head, face, and neck. Ear mites are also itchy but you should see a black waxy or crusty exudate in the ear canal. Ringworm should be an important consideration in such a kitten and that fungus is contagious to you and so it behooves your having your vet take a look at this kitten at your earliest convenience. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?