Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat is turning 16 years old and recently, she was getting

Customer Question

Hi there, My cat is turning 16 years old and recently, she was getting diarrhea and once I stopped giving her the cat treats the diarrhea stopped. Once that stopped, she hasnt been pooping as much and not eating as much. I give her a small amount of canned
food in the morning and she eats a very small amount of that. And their is dry food their for her too if she needs. But im not sure if shes eating much of that too. I have been feeding her the wellness brand for quite some time. She drinks plenty of water
too. Is this a concern?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Anything that is unusual in the habits of a 16 year old concerns me. If Jade has become inappetent it's important that she be attended to by her vet who will perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests - a senior/geriatric panel is most cost-effective for you. While much younger cats have some reserve when it comes to illnesses, our geriatrics can become quite ill quickly. It's the 16 year olds who suffer from chronic degenerative conditions such as chronic renal or hepatic failure and are more likely to need help from us. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jade. How is everything going?