Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I just got a chocolate kitten... Beautiful color..

Customer Question
I just got a chocolate...
I just got a chocolate brown kitten... Beautiful color.. Brown everywhere.. And I think I have a Havana Brown... I want to show a picture to you so I could get an opinion... I've looked all day for someone to give me an expert opinion:(
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Can I send a pic on here too? I'm 95percent positive we have an Havana in our home and if so I will be so excited,!!!!
Can I send a pic of her?
11/6/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Marta Lepes, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Cat Veterinarian

Hi Chastyn, I can look at a picture but I can only say that Whiskey "looks like" a Havana Brown. Where you able to get the pedegree when you got your kitten?

What I'm trying to say is that you can not be sure of a breed by its appearance alone. Where did you get this kitten? She may look like a Havana Brown but without a pedigree you would never know for sure. But if you are not going to use her for breeding you can be happy that you have a Havana Brown look-alike (and maybe a real one). Havana Browns are a wonderful breed. Good luck to you

Hi, I did some research for you. There was an interesting scientific paper on cat genetics released earlier this year. Certain characteristics such as hairlessness in the Sphinx breed and curly coat of a Devon Rex have genetic markers. However all cat breeds have the brown gene whether os not they are colored brown. Most of the genetic work in cats is done to identify disease. This is important to breeders so that they do not breed cats with diseases. So in answer to your question, no, genetic testing could not help you. Watch your cat as she grows. If she is a Havana Brown her eyes will be green (from your pics they already look like they may be turning green) And her coat will be a very thick and soft. Go online and look at pictures to see the color and body form. If she grows up to look like those cats you could very well have a Brown Havana but you won't be able to prove it. In the meantime love that little Whiskey. She sure is cute. Hope that this answers your question.

Chastyn, If you have any more questions just get in touch. Otherwise it was a learning experience for me too about the cat genetics. Please tke a moment to rate me. Thank you. Dr Marta

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Cat Veterinarian