Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I accidentally stepped on my 9 week old kitten's stomach

Customer Question

I accidentally stepped on my 9 week old kitten's stomach earlier this afternoon about 12 hours ago. He did not seem to have any pain around any bones. He has been drinking water and eating but throwing it all up. He complains loudly when trying to use the litterbox when he finally goes poop it is very tiny. He is lethargic, pink gums, but throwing up after eating. Keeps down water ok.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry this has happened to Ocho.

It is a concern that he is vomiting so frequently especially after water. As he is so young and small, it won't take long for himt o become dehydrated which is very serious.

It is impossible to relate the earlier trauma to this or not, but I would certainly advise getting him to make sure that nothing has happened to any of the internal organs that could be causing these clinical signs.

Given his vocalisation when he is toileting I would be concerned about abdominal muscle pain, constipation or intestinal issues, so it is definitely worth getting him checked. Your vet will be able to examine him thoroughly, feel his tummy to make sure there are no tears in the muscles and that the organs feel OK. If there is any uncertainty or concern an x-ray or ultrasound maybe performed.

Good luck and I hope he is OK,

Regards

Dr Dan Makin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He is keeping down water, but when he eats, he ends up throwing up food. It is 3:00 a.m. here. I will get him to the vet first thing in the morning. If he does have tears or internal damage what can be done for him? We adopted this kitty after he took a ride in friend's engine from a trolley station, and we are only working 1 part time job between us for a family of 4. I am worried about Ocho and the bill and need to budget for this. We love this kitty so so much, I cannot stand watching him like this, he is usually just a ball of happy energy.

Is there any kind of electrolyte I can make for him and give him until the vet opens?

Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 1 year ago.

As long as he is bright and happy and alert and responsive and not struggling to breathe then a vet check tomorrow wioll be fine.

I am sure he will be fine, maybe a little shocked and bruised. But if there were to be a tear in the muscles this can be repaired with some stitches. The outlook for organ damage will depend on the organ and severity of the damage, this is much less likely but worth checking. Kittens are pretty robust and he sounds like a tough cookie so am sure he will be fine.

Good luck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you we named him Ocho because he lost 2 toes in that car engine and a life. He did get up and play for a bit with the kids last night, was alert, following the toys and chasing them. But then he ate and all went downhill when food tried to move through his system. He is breathing alright, walking very slowly (like he is sore). I'll get him in to the vet hospital at 7:00 a.m. for a checkup. Thank you for your help, he's sleeping now.

Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 1 year ago.

Fab, Am sure he will be OK.

Sleep well