Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My cat (7 years old) has had purple mucus from her eyes that

Customer Question

Hi, My cat (7 years old) has had purple mucus from her eyes that gets a little crusty if not taken care of, for as long as I can remember. At the recommendation of our current vet we took her to an eye specialist that said her eyes are OK. In the past 6 months she's been sneezing a lot and what I learned was reverse sneezing, and it's gotten worse. She has spells of labored breathing, and it almost sounds like something is caught in her throat and she can't breathe. She sticks her neck out and seems to gag, and I think she swallows a lot of air because she burps soon after. She always licks her nose a lot after as well. I think it might happen more often after she eats? But it's hard to say as I work during the day.
She's never thrown up a hairball, but she has vomited small amounts much more often than before.
Thoughts??
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Peeps has chronic upper respiratory signs.

Have you considered that she may have environmental allergies to things like pollen, dust and mold? I think that changing the litter and the food were great starts, but you can't change your house or the trees in your yard.
Have you tried an antihistamine such as Chlorpheniramine? This is over-the-counter and comes in 4mg tablets. The standard cat dose is 1/2 tablet (2mg) twice daily. I would start with this one, but you can also try Benadryl. This comes in 25mg tablets and the standard cat dose is 1/2 tablet or 12.5mg twice daily.

A more potent option would be a steroid such as Prednisone. Cats tolerate steroids significantly better than dogs or humans so it would be worth a trial with a low dose prednisone for 2-4 weeks to see if there is improvement. If there isn't, then you can stop the steroids and try something different.

I hope this answer helps you. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is Peeps this evening? Were you able to try the antihistamines? Do you have any more questions for me?

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for answering your question. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kate,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Amanda Mouradian-Dar