Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My kitten is 3months old..shes active but barely eats and

Customer Question

My kitten is 3months old..shes active but barely eats and can't control her bowel
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Prissy is sick.

When you say that she "can't control her bowel" does that mean that she is having diarrhea that is frequent and she can't make it to the litter box or does that mean that she is passing formed stool and has no idea that the poop is coming out?

How long have you had her? Where did she come from? What kind of food are you feeding her?

It is very unusual for a kitten to have no idea that the poop is coming out, so I will assume that she is just having uncontrollable diarrhea. The most common cause of uncontrolled diarrhea in kittens is parasites such as giardia and coccidia. These both require medication to treat so I would recommend taking Prissy to the vet tomorrow for a fecal examination. Other causes of diarrhea include food allergy and inflammatory bowel disease but these are very uncommon in young cats.

I would suspect that her poor appetite is because of her diarrhea and abdominal pain from the cramping. Once you fix the diarrhea, the appetite should improve.

For feeding, I recommend any canned kitten food, such as ProPlan or Royal Canin in a variety of flavors.

I hope this answer helps you. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is Prissy this evening? Is she still having diarrhea? Were you able to take her to your vet today?

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for answering your question. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda