Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Lost u, my 8 mo old kitten and 6 mo old keep me up at nite.

Customer Question

Lost u, my 8 mo old kitten and 6 mo old keep me up at nite. I did all that I was told like keep active during day and eArly eve , feed main meal right before I go to bed , shut door, if I must get up don't interact at all just do my do and back to bed . Oh and they do come in bedroom during day to cuddle and hang out. I go out to
Living room from about 2-7:30pm then feed them large dinner and lights out how long do I need to keep them out? It's been 5 nights now and they have mellowed a lot but when I do get up at nite my tabby talks and talks regent ly to me I was told to just ignore and bk to closed bedroom. I want them to be in here with me at night so about how long do u think I'll have to keep door closed? Can I separate them?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your cats at night. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

This is not an unusual problem, since cats are nocturnal by nature. I would not separate them, as that might start them being active again, trying to get to each other and vocalizing because they are apart.

5 days sounds like too short a time for a real behavior change. It sounds like things are getting better, but you do not want to let them in too soon. If I were you and these were my cats, I would probably wait 7 to 10 days, to be sure they were being quiet at night, and then try opening the door. At the first sign of them keeping you up, out they go and the door closes again for a few more days. They must learn that waking you does not get them what they want (food, attention from you).

Even your talking to them is attention, so be silent, do not respond to them at all.

It really sounds like they are learning and you are doing a great job. Just be a little patient a little longer.

Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else. Kindly consider rating my answer (always appreciated!); you can still get back to me with questions and updates after rating. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I see you opened a new question. Please only respond here with your questions about your cats.

I closed the new question, so you will not be charged for it.

Let me know what else I can answer.