Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat had s right top canine extracted and two weeks later

Customer Question

My cat had his right top canine extracted and two weeks later he developed an eye infection on the same side of face and the entire side of face became swollen. He was given another antibiotic shot and treated with eye drops (which had antibiotic & steroid) to both eyes since infection seem to spreading being that left side of face became swollen as well. My sense was that this infection was connected to extraction. Any opinion ?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Smokey. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

If the infection did not develop right after the extraction, that may not be the reason for this infection, although it is possible. Usually an infection from a tooth extraction responds to antibiotics.

Another concern is he may have another infected tooth. Were Xrays taken of the roots of his teeth when the extraction was done? If a back molar gets infected, the roots of the tooth go right up into the sinus below the eye, and you can see discharge from the eye, and swelling on the face.

If this were my own cat, and the swelling is not responding to antibiotics, I would consider getting an Xray to look for another infected tooth or to look for infection at the site of the extracted canine tooth. I would start medication for pain and swelling in addition to the antibiotics. I would also consider doing an aspiration of the swelling with a fine needle, to get cells to look at under the microscope, to look for infection or abnormal cells.

Let me know what other questions I can help with. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I hope you were able to see what I sent about Smokey. How is he doing? Can I help with or answer anything else?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?