Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

My cat is about 16 years old. he has been eating less and

Customer Question

my cat is about 16 years old. he has been eating less and less during the last several months and has gotten very thin. In the last 2 days I noticed he has totally stopped eating. He is weak but does not seem to be in distress. Is he simply dying of old age? Can a vet even help him?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr RB and I am licensed veterinarian. First, I am so sorry to hear this.. Geriatric cat that experience rapid weight loss and decreased appetite have a high probability of being diagnosed with diabetes, kidney failure, chronic infection or cancer.. It is very worrisome for any cat not to eat or drink for more than 24 hours so I would advice you to take your cat to your regular veterinarian in order for them to perform a blood chemistry and complete blood count as well as other diagnostics to diagnose her disease and provide immediate treatment.. I hope this advice this advice helps you;)

Hello again, I hope your little friend is feeling better..If my advice helped, it would be greatly appreciated if you could take the time to give my response a positive rating? This would allow me to receive compensation for my expertise and time assisting you and your pet.. Much thanks