Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat has hyperthyrodism and is on a very low dose of

Customer Question
methimazole. (The doctor had...
My cat has hyperthyrodism and is on a very low dose of methimazole. (The doctor had to actually lower it because her thyroid levels became too low) This past week she has been urinating outside the litter box and her urine is clear. Should I be concerned?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
I should add: I have had some personal stresses and have been been a little inconsistent in the past week or so about giving her the medication -- a few times I forgot to give one dose and gave the second dose at different times.
10/31/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. Thank you for your question about Mona. I'm sorry to hear about her urinary accidents. I wouldn't expect these accidents to be due to her hyperthyroid situation or due to the medication she is on. With her inappropriately urinating, this could be a behavioral issue or a physical issue. The only way to know if this is a physical issue is to have her seen again by your vet to have a urine sample evaluated. Inappropriate urination like this could be due to a urinary tract infection that needs to be treated with a course of antibiotics. If it isn't a urinary tract infection, then could it be a behavioral issue where she is doing this because of some "stressor". Here is a good link on feline house soiling due to behavioral issues and what can be done to help that.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=633

As far as should you be concerned, I would be concerned enough to get her seen to see if she has the urinary tract infection as that needs specific therapy for it. Please let me know what questions this brings up.

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian