Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

Vet,i have a 13 year old cat ,shes the greatest kitty ,she

Customer Question

Hi vet,i have a 13 year old cat ,shes the greatest kitty ,she been licking her stomach and removing all her hair,i thought its her food and tryed changing it ,,i cant figure out why shes doing this, , i brush her ,could she be alergic to something,she very healthy ,i feed her science diet and gnc vitamins, ,half of her hair is gone ,its like her skin is anoying her ,any idea what it could be,brought her to the. vet he was puzzled?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am sorry to hear about Pussnboots and her hair loss on her skin. I am happy to help you this evening. I have seen this a lot at this time of year. It is usually brought on by some kind of allergy. This allergy is related to something in the environment that she is exposed to, even if an inside cat. Common causes are dust, pollen, mold and even human dander. This can change in a cat at any time. So if she never had a problem before then it can still be allergies. The way to know if this is the case is to give her a steroid shot. This will relieve allergies. If this fixes the hair loss issue then you know it is allergies and she may need a steroid injection one or two times a year. If this does not improve then it is most likely psychogenic alopecia which is a stress response. Something in her life has caused stress and this is her response to it. She over grooms her belly and removes the hair as an outlet for the stress. Often times if the stress is not obvious we cannot identify it. But if you moved, someone moved in or out, new pet, new animal outside. . . etc then this could be the stress. If this is the case discuss medications such as prozac with your vet. Often you can see improvement with such a medication.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!