Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My has had diarrhoea on and off a week. I starved m day and

Customer Question
My has had diarrhoea on...
My has had diarrhoea on and off for nearly a week. I starved him for a day and it seemed to firm up slightly then went back to diarrhoea again. I stupidly changed his food a couple of days ago thinking this might help but think I've aggravated it. (I did only mix in some of the new dry food with his normal dry food but he picked all the new stuff out and ate just that) Also noticed fur pellet in a couple of his poos so gave Johnson's hairball rememdy 3 days on the run but don't know if this contains laxative and could be making it worse. He normally eats wet food for breakfast then has access to dry food the rest of the day. He seems to be drinking plenty, and seems to be himself. I took away his food after breakfast but don't know if I should give him some of his normal wet food to make sure he is staying hydrated. Is there anything else I can try?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
10/29/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today.

Friend, diarrhea can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have her checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian