Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat started with a dime size hair loss on s neck. it

Customer Question

my cat started with a dime size hair loss on his neck. it almost seemed as tho something yanked it out. a week later, it was the size of a silver dollar, and he scratches it. took him to the vet, gave us antibiotic and a hood. brought him back in a week, it looked to be healing so she said i could take the hood off. as soon as i did that he started scratching again and opened it up. i put the hood back on. any other suggestions of what i can try. he is eating a little but not drinking. Please help
Thank you,
sue
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your cat. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

If he is scratching it, it must be itchy. In addition to the antibiotic cream you are using, I might also try applying an ointment that contains cortisone, such as Cortaid or Cortizone 10.

If it continues not to heal, I would next do a "skin scraping" where I get cells from the area of hair loss, and examine it under a microscope for infection, parasites, fungus, etc. This could be ringworm, a fungal skin infection. You could ask your vet to shine a Woods Light on it; ringworm usually glows fluorescent green under these special black lights (ultraviolet).

Let me know what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is your cat doing? I hope you were able to see what I sent. Can I help with or answer anything else?

Kindly consider rating my answer (always appreciated!); you can still get back to me with questions and updates after rating.