Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My kitten has sore eyes and sneezes a lot. I have only had

Customer Question

My kitten has sore eyes and sneezes a lot. I have only
had her for a week and she has had her first kitten shots, but the vet did not seem concerned about the eyes and the sneezing. She came from a farm and a friend said the eye irritation could be from the hay and chaf. But because she sneezes so hard I was not sure that's the case. She sneezes really hard and has discharge from her nose. I wondered if I should take her to the emergency vet?
Sud
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Janie. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. My name is Rebecca.

It is not unusual for kittens to have an upper respiratory virus that caused sneezing and runny eyes. Is she eating, and drinking, and playing? If you look at her gum, are they an normal pink color?

Most of these viral infection run a course of a week or so, and get better. If she is so sick that she is not eating, she should see a veterinarian.

You can get Terramycin over the counter in most states (not California) and that can help with runny eyes. What is the eye ointment you have?

For sneezing, you can use children's nose drops like Little Noses, 1 drop on the nose and let it run into the nostrils, once to twice daily.

If she is really sick, has a fever (normal rectal temperature is 101 to 102), then seeing a veterinarian would be best. Let me know what else I can help with or answer, and how she is doing. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I hope you were able to see what I sent. Can I help with or answer anything else? How is Janie doing?

Kindly consider rating my answer (always appreciated!); you can still get back to me with questions and updates after rating.