Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a 14 year old Tortie who is very sick. I started to

Customer Question

I have a 14 year old Tortie who is very sick. I started to notice that she wasn't grooming and losing weight about a 2 months ago, but I just thought that she was finally showing her age, as it happened so gradually. She was still hunting (she's been an outdoor cat her whole life) and eating 3 weeks ago. Last week, Tuesday, I took her to the vet because she had become very lethargic and seemed thinner. She also didn't seem to be drinking as much water as usual.
The vet took blood and gave her subcutaneous fluids, as well as a 2 week antibiotic shot. They couldn't take urine because they could not palpate her bladder (it was empty) But when the blood results came back, it showed that she had a very high white blood cell count and that she had a very high reading of something else, but I can't remember what...i was very sad.
The vet gave me Clavimox and we have given it too her for 3 days now. She was eating before we started the meds, but today, she hasn't eaten at all. She had barely drank as well. I know this is a side effect of the meds. But I also know that if she doesn't eat it will damage her liver. We cannot afford to do anymore tests (ultrasound) I'm at a loss. I know that I will likely have to put her down soon, I just want to know what the likely hood is of her getting better at 14? I think I know already but I need some guidance please.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are so worried about your cat. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. My name is Rebecca.

It sure would help to see the results of her blood tests, and learn what was high besides the white blood cell count.

14 is old for a cat, but some cats live to be 20 or older. So, it is possible for her to recover from some diseases. Some liver diseases, infections, pancreatitis, and other conditions can get better. If she has cancer, or chronic kidney disease, she probably will not.

If she is not eating, you need to keep her hydrated by offering broth as well as water. There are appetite stimulants that could help get her eating.

If you can possibly get copies of her blood tests to share with me, that might help.

Let me know what other questions you have. Rebecca