Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat has been vomiting differing colors and consistency's

Customer Question
today, we would have believed...
My cat has been vomiting differing colors and consistency's today, we would have believed it an emergency earlier but he has always had a sensitive stomach. Today the vomitus has been pink and we did dose him with 2.5 mg. Zantac as a pro-vet site recommended. His ears are irritated and have been itchy, but even after the ranitidine he vomited pink. No pain on palpation, any idea's.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Has a probable prognosis been found as yet, I have received no call nor new email!
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/25/2015
Cat Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance.

How long has this been going on and how many times has he vomited so far today?

How long after the Zantac did he vomit?

Two days from his normal sensitive stomach issue to a dark vomitus last night, but no coffee ground look to it. When the light pink vomitus began it was overnight and this AM. No sign of fever and seems to want neither food or water (as far as we know). It was more than 2 hours after the Zantac that he vomited on our bed. He has been more clingy than normal as I love my buddy and my wife commonly does the unpleasant procedures. By palpation under the ribcage and across the belly I get no pain response. He is a chonic licker. He will even wash our medium sized dog and some time ago I awoke to a half bare of all hair arm.
Additionally, catnip cured his sensitive stomach very well so we garden our own organic crop. This has not helped this time, he often has shown signs of eating too fast as the food has scarcely had time to become moist, but this has been a few months since single occurances of this vomiting.
Are you there???

Thank you for the reply.

If he has been vomiting for over 24 hours and if he is not eating or drinking, it is time for veterinary intervention. There are very many reasons why cats vomit, some more serious than others. Vomiting is a vague sign that can be associated with simple things like dietary indiscretion to more serious things like intestinal obstruction or metabolic disorders. In young cats, we usually are a little more worried about foreign body ingestion. We decide how aggressive we need to be in diagnosing and treating it based on how severe the symptoms and how long it has been going on.

In his case, I would be concerned in that it is going on without resolution for so long. It definitely warrants at least an exam and probably some bloodwork or xrays. The exam may help to rule out obvious things like intestinal masses, but bloodwork is needed to rule out metabolic changes like diabetes, thyroid or kidney disease or pancreatitis. Xrays will help to rule out an obstruction. It is not uncommon for all of these tests to be normal and there can still be GI disease present. Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is a very common cause of vomiting in cats. If your vet suspects this, they may offer a trial of medication or a change in diet to see how he responds.

Additionally, after a bout of vomiting, his gastric lining is obviously inflammed and needs a rest. Usually a 12-24 hour fast will help, but anti-vomiting medications are often needed to help insure the vomiting stops, whatever the reason. Zantac is an antacid, and can help decrease gastric acid, but is not very effective to decrease vomiting or nausea. On top of that, When a pet is vomiting, any medication is best given by injection so as not to irritate the gastric lining further. Fluid therapy can best be offered with IV fluids or fluids given under the skin (SQ) so that he does not get dehydrated.

With his history of a sensitive stomach, he very probably is a candidate for having inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). If that is the case, the goal becomes more management than cure and the signs will likely flare up intermittently as time goes on without some sort of management, but it is best to make sure we are not missing something more acute like a foreign body or a mass.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Z.
petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian