Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I saw evidence my puppies have been eating/chewing up the

Customer Question
stalk of a hydrangea plant...
I saw evidence my puppies have been eating/chewing up the stalk of a hydrangea plant. one small petal and one begonia petal and leaf came up when she lost the contents in her stomach. No Hydrangea leaves came up... I just saw the stalks torn off the plant. she also had a bit of bell pepper from the garden in her vomit. She vomited three times after that in the last 30 min. and only foam is coming up. Now she is quiet sleeping. Can I give her something to calm her stomach? How Toxic is this? will I get to text/Chat with you or will you just respond? Our vet is closed on the weekend. How long must I watch her for concerns and what am I looking for if anything?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
10/25/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr B, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you. Typically hydrangea plants will only cause gastrointestinal irritation with vomiting and potentially diarrhea. Cyanide intoxication from this plant is very rare because most pets don't eat enough for that to happen. The begonia on the other hand can cause intense irritation and burning of lips, mouth and esophagus. Also you can see excessive drooling with this...... if she is quiet now and has stopped vomiting then chances are she will be fine but if there is any more vomiting, lack of appetite, diarrhea or extreme lethargy you should take her to the ER.I hope this helps you. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as this is the only way I am compensated.Thank you very much.

Dr B
Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian