Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
21779527

My 9 yr old male tiger kitty, had "uveitis" of s R-eye about

Customer Question

My 9 yr old male tiger kitty, had "uveitis" of his R-eye about 6-8 mths ago, and it looks like he may have it again. What can I do for this? I will probably take him to the vet tomorrow, but really; Is there anything else I can do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 13 years.

Uveitis often has some underlying cause in the body and can come back if whatever the original underlying cause is isn't found and corrected so this definitely could be another bout of uveitis. However, a number of other eye conditional can mimic the symptoms of uveitis so I wouldn't immediately assume that is what it is. However, unfortunately there is very little you can do at home. The only thing that really helps with uveitis is cortisone. And even if you have cortisone eye drops at home I would be reluctant to put them in without knowing this is uveitis because cortisone drops inhibit the healing of the cornea so they can be damaging if this is not uveitis.

It is also nice to give them pain relief because it is a painful condition, but can't can't take any of the over the counter pain medications... they need something like buprenex or tramadol.... which you are unlikely to have.

You could get some over the counter artificial tears... I like GenTeal tears.... they can provide a small amount of relief until you get to the vet tomorrow.

I hope that helps, but if you have additional questions let me know.

Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Vickie Vitalo,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Stacy