Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My kitten just got spayed on Oct 21. Today, Oct 23 she is

Customer Question

My kitten just got spayed on Oct 21. Today, Oct 23 she is VERY warm and hiding. Can't find a vet that's open right now. I have some doxycycline here at home, is it safe to give to her? She is about 5 or 6 months old
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello????? do you have an answer?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Doxycycline is safely administered to cats at a dose of 5 mg/lb once daily but it mustn't be given as a dry pill as it can cause esophageal ulcers if it stays in contact with the esophagus too long. It needs to be made into a solution and then followed up by dosing with water in order to clear the esophagus of the antibiotic. What form of doxycycline do you have at home?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
caqpsules

How many milligrams are in each capsule, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
50 mg

How much does Minnie weigh, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5#

Thank you. You'll need to spill out the contents of that capsule and divide the contents into 2 equal portions - 25 mg each. One portion need to be suspended in water and given with an eyedropper between Minnie's cheek teeth and cheek. You then need to flush her esophagus with a few eyedroppers of water. The next portion can be given 24 hours later, etc. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you

You're welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.