Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I have two indoor cats that has not been exposed to outdoor

Customer Question
life. They are sisters...
I have two indoor cats that has not been exposed to outdoor life. They are sisters, both 10 years old. One has just developed a condition a weeks or so ago that is getting progressively worse. Her hair is falling out and she has scabs on her chin, neck, and top of her head. They started small and now are getting harder and covering a larger area. She eats Nutro hard catfood since she was a kitten. She has been getting lathargic and looks to be losing wait. The other cat is fine. No issues. I thought at first that it was cat acne from the plastic water bowl but have switched to stainless steel without improvement to her condition. Have checked her for fleas. She doesn't scratch and there is no sign of them. It doesnt look like ring worm and I dont even think that could be an option. Do you have any suggestions. She gets tramatized when havimg to leave the house so I am trying to avoid the vet. I did put coconut oil on her fur the other day to help with the soreness. It did dry it up but now its like hard tan bumps. Almost looks like eggs. I checked her ears for mites and they are clear. The whole thing seems odd to me. I don't want her to suffer and she doesnt seem to be in any pain. She sleeps a lot. Am not sure what to do for her. Thank you for responding.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
10/22/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 2 years ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

I am sorry Abbie has this trouble.

It sounds like miliary dermatitis which is an allergic reaction. She could get it from being bitten by one flea that snuck in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miliary_dermatitis

You can give her one quarter of a 4 mg chlortrimeton every 24 hours. It is a teeny pill so if you add it to a tablespoon of canned cat food, tuna or baby food chicken (no onion or garlic) she will not detect it:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/chlorpheniramine-maleate-chlor-trimeton/page1.aspx

You can use plain neosporen or raw honey on her sores. Both are safe to lick:

http://winterparkhoney.ecrater.com/p/4865201/16-oz-melaleuca-honey-raw-unheated

http://oramanukahoney.com.au/animal_care.html

Now weight loss is another story and should be checked. At her age she could be hyperthyroid or diabetic.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_thyroid__signs__symptoms_and_d.html

If he has this ailment it can be treated with medication and a special food. It is made by hills and called Y/D. It comes in wet and dry forms:

http://www.hillspet.com/products/prescription-diet.html

Read about diabetes here:

www.catinfo.org

Since she gets so stressed going out suggest calling a mobile vet that can come to your house to see her.

I can locate one for you if you send me your zip code.

Please let me know how Abbie is doing. Reply here or if you prefer we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitties.

Love,

Terri

Terri
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert