Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

A couple weeks ago my cat kept going to the cat box and had

Customer Question
some pink tint to urine...
A couple weeks ago my cat kept going to the cat box and had some pink tint to urine took him to the vet couldn't really find a problem gave us some meds to calm bladder down after a couple days he was ok for about a week or so he's starting again he's not laying around and is eating
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
10/20/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your cat. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. My name is Rebecca.

Do you know if your vet did a urinalysis? Or any test?

Pink urine can be a sign of a bladder infection, stones or crystals in the bladder, or "sterile cystitis" a condition where there is inflammation but not infection (no bacteria, so it is"sterile"). For stones and sterile cystitis, a change in diet can help. If there is an infection, antibiotics may be needed. A urinalysis is usually where we start to determine which of these is going on.

What was the medication that you tried from your vet?

Phenoxybenzamine

Thank you for that. Did it help at all? Was a urinalysis done?

This medication is supposed to relax the urethra, but does not treat infection, crystals, stones, or inflammation.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

How is your cat doing? Can I help with or answer anything else?

If this were my own cat, I would do a urinalysis to look for a bladder infection or crystals in the urine.

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian