Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My male Maincoon, he is 12.5 years old, has started peeing

Customer Question
outside the litter box, he...
My male Maincoon, he is 12.5 years old, has started peeing outside the litter box, he doesn't meow when peeing. He prefers to go outside to pee as he has been doing all summer....he has been losing some weight as well
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
10/19/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he been urinating outside the box?

Where does he go? By the box, the door, on particular furniture?

Does he still use the box for stool?

Does he seem to pass a large or small volume? Is it quite dark or watery/dilute?

Has he been drinking more at all?

Any appetite change?

a few months, he pees near the litter box, he usually goes out side for the stool
He usually pees a large volume, don't know the colour of urine
He usually drinks a fair amount, he has lost weight

Thank you,

Is he passing anything in the box at all? Any changes to that box (ie new litter, box, location, etc)?

Sometimes he is passing in litter box but mostly on floor or carpet nearby, and outside is his preference. No real changes to box except I moved it a few feet

Thank you,

First, while not likely our main issue, if you did move the box just before this started, then do try moving it back. This way we can just make sure that isn't playing any role here with you lad.

Now as I am sure you can appreciate, inappropriate urination in the cat can be triggered by a range of issues (ie stress, territorial disputes, litter box avoidance, related to arthritis, health issues, etc). That said, to hear that we have him passing large volumes of urine our of the box and has weight loss, health issues will top out list. Especially at his age.

Therefore, in his case, we absolutely will want to submit a urine sample to his vet +/- have a check up. If you can collect a urine sample (often we can get them by keeping the kitty overnight with an empty litter box in a non-carpeted room), this can be tested for sugar/ketones (signs of diabetes), crystals, infection, bilirubin (a hint of liver troubles), and that it is being properly concentrated (since dilute urine raises concerns of kidney disease). Depending on the findings of that, we may want his vet to also check bloods (to confirm kidney disease severity, rule out liver or thyroid disease). Once that is narrowed, we can appreciate if we do have a health based reason for his behavior as his signs suggest. And once we know, we can then treat it appropriately to manage his signs, get some weight back on him, and get him back in the box.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian