Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

A veterinarian has been giving my cat a shot of Depo-Medrol

Customer Question

A veterinarian has been giving my cat a shot of Depo-Medrol 20MG/ML plus Vetalog Sol6MG--KENALOG 10MG for a condition they say is fatal,since Sept. 2014. Where sinus passage are blocked. my question , Is there not a medicine to dry up the nasal drainage? Is there no other meds. to give? She is getting much worse. And I have never had a second opinion. please help. ***@******.***
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear about Blackey. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

What is the medical condition that she has? Are the nasal passages blocked by a tumor, or blood, or by thick discharge?

What tests have been done to determine what is wrong: Xrays, microscopically analyzing the nasal discharge, blood tests?

Do these steroid injections help at all?

I hope to hear from you soon. Rebecca

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry I do not know the name. Iwas sent to Kansas State veterinarian university. They wanted 2,000. just for a cat scan. I went back to my vet, where he said he lifted her pallet. They did a x-ray. He said this will harden in time. the injections have helped so far but now she is sounds like she is drowning and a flim is coming out of her mouth, she is drooling. She just had a shot Oct. 11. She tries to eat but can't. The shot helped for 3-4 days' usually helps for about a month.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I would like to help, but since I don't know what her condition is, it is hard for me to tell you the best treatment.

What was seen on the Xray? What will harden in time?

It is not unusual for steroid injections to work for a month, but each shot afterward works for a shorter and shorter period.

I would have to see her medical records to give you a good opinion. I can opt out if you like, and see if another expert on this site might be able to help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please lets talk. I have to leave in 45 min. will not be back till wed.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I opted out; I can't do phone calls for the website. I hope an expert who can make calls will help you. Rebecca