Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cats eyes are pouring water. started with right eye

Customer Question
first. Cat was swallowing abnormally...
my cats eyes are pouring water. started with right eye first. Cat was swallowing abnormally, like a sore throat. And big sneezes to clear nose i assume. sleeping continually only to come out once a day for a small bite to eat of wet food. he seemed to be getting better cause he came out to be in front room to sleep. Cocoa went outside yesterday. Yes! But came in today now right eye is also pouring. The evening he started getting sick, was after he came in from a fight and his coat was covered with dirt and sticky stick stickers. I just figured that his body was trying to get dirt and stuff out of his eye and his sinuses. He is almost two years old, and a (not ur average) rag doll breed. He came to me a year ago.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
10/18/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I'm going to need you to clarify a few things for me...

How long ago was his right eye watery (epiphora), he was sneezing and he was swallowing as if it were painful? These are symptoms of upper respiratory infection often caused by the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1).

He slept continually and ate sparingly. For how many days, please?

He finally went outside. How long had it been since he first appeared ill?

His right eye is watery again - or did you mean his left eye this time? - and he has begun to vomit?

He came in filthy and so was likely to have been trying to clean himself. Ingesting filth may have induced vomiting and so bathing him would be prudent. FHV-1 is known to recrudesce (relapse without cure in between events). I would conjecture that going out and getting in a fight was enough stress for him to become symptomatic of FHV-1 again. In the great majority of cases, these cats will eventually remiss unaided within 7-21 days but it would be prudent to keep him inside until all of his symptoms have abated. Please let me know what was in the eye salve you administered.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian