Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My 4 year old cat, went of food and very lethargic days,

Customer Question

My 4 year old cat , went of food and very lethargic for 2 days, picked up but stopped eating again. Took cat to vets and gave pain killer and antibotic injection, as could not be examined as gets very aggressive. Still not eating so went back to vet who sedated my cat and took X-ray and ultra sound and bloods, I was told bloods ok and tests ok, cat came home and was eating and normal behaviour for 2 days, but has now stopped eating again, very lethargic and hiding again.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 2 years ago.

Good evening - I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm sorry that your question has not received an immediate answer - I know that you are worried about your kitty. I suspect the reason is that we are going to have just as much difficulty telling what's wrong with your kitty as your own vet.

Anorexia (not eating) is about the most nonspecific sign of illness we can see in a cat. That means that it can be caused by a huge list of diseases, and it's really not easy to tell what's going on. It looks like your vet has done a great job of working your kitty up so far (that is, running the appropriate diagnostics). In a young cat who isn't eating but has normal blood work, I would consider pancreatitis as a possible culprit. The most common symptom with pancreatitis is anorexia in cats. It doesn't always show obvious signs on physical exam, blood work, or even on ultrasound. There is a specialized blood test that can be sent to the lab to help diagnose pancreatitis, but I don't use it often. It's reasonable in cats who aren't eating to add on anti-nausea medication and an appetite stimulant like mirtazapine or cyproheptadine. If things aren't turning around, another option would be to take your kitty's care to the next level by pursuing the opinion of a board certified internal medicine specialist, who may be able to tease some info out of his physical exam and lab work that the general practice vets aren't seeing. It's especially challenging handling a kitty who is too fractious to handle without sedation - this limits what we can do significantly. I often do try putting kitties like this on IV fluids and injectable medications for a day or two, but it doesn't sound like this is going to be possible with your kitty's temperament.

Please let me know if there are other questions I can answer for you :)

~Dr. Sara

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! Thank you so much :)