Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My cat (male) and 3.5 years old is recovering from a severe

Customer Question

My cat (male) and 3.5 years old is recovering from a severe skin inflammation ( was red all over).. and which the local vet termed as acute dermatitis. He has lost all his appetite , was hardly moving and was hiding himself under a bedsheet. He is now
better post some drips, antibiotic, prednisone and painkiller(3 days). Active but has not regained his appetite. We have noticed that he is nibbling at his litter 2 times and are concerned. Please advise and let me know if you need additional information.
Rgds, HarAsees
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry to hear about this concern. Well, it sounds like some good therapies were started to help the problems mentioned. He has been through a lot, and it is possible that some of the medictions (especially antibiotics) may be causing a upset stomach or the loss of appetite.

So, to try and help upset stomach, you can give a 1/4 tablet of a over-the-counter Pepcid A.C. antacid. Yes, the same pepcid antacid we take. Get the regular strength 10mg tablets and give 1/4 tablet.

Also, ask the vet for a single dose of Mirtazapine. It's side-effect can be appetite stimulation in cats, and only has to be given once every 3 days.

Good Luck!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your prompt response.So I forgot to mention that 0.3 ml of antacid (Rantac) was administered with the saline and antibiotic.Also, what do you feel about him nibblling cat litter- I have never seen him do that before. He is also uncomfortable going back to his usual spots, and is on the lookout for new spots.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.

Yes about the antacid. But, that will only last about 12 hours. So, Pepcid can be continued.

Going after the cat litter could also suggest nausea. Many times, a pet will exhibiting pica (eating all sorts of foreign stuff) when not feeling well.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
we have him on antacid + appetite stimulant. He now eats slightly better than before.However the blood test results seem to be a concern. His haemoglobin is 10.4 gms%, and total count is 6400 cells/cumm.
Could that be because he had an acute dermatitis infection or he has not eaten well for the past 1 week ?Rgds,
HarAsees
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.

My primary concern, when interpreting the CBC (complete blood count) is only the Hct. Not the Hgb or HCV etc...

If the Hct is low, and it depends how low, that would dictate being anemic. But, having not ate for about a week would not likely decrease the Hct (hematocrit). So, be careful when trying to interpret certain variations in the CBC, unless there is something your vet has specifically said is a concern.

Hope that extra info helps!