Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I have been force feeding my cat weeks lipoidosis. Last

Customer Question

I have been force feeding my cat for 3 weeks for hepatic lipoidosis. Last night I believe she got spoiled prescription food and vomited and is now crying a lot and not acting like she has been. She seemed to be acting normally. Except for the not eating part. I picked a can I meant to discard as it had been sitting out opened for several days. She is now just lying here. Alert but seems quiet. I have given her 2 rounds of subcu fluids..( not too much) I am so upset because that is the only reason I can think of for the change. She gets very small dose of remeron every 48 hours for appetite and nausea. I did feed her baby chicken this am in a small amount and so far ok. If it is from the spoiled food will it pass in a certain time?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How many hours ago did she get the spoiled food?

Is she on any medication besides the Remeron just now?

Does he appear to have a tense, tender, or uncomfortable belly if you press on it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well Just two feedings of about 30 ccs but unfortunately it had been out for about 5 days. I got it mixed up with a can I had just opened. So I threw them all away. She had been acting herself as far as being loving and using her scratcher etc and hadn't thrown up for approximately three days after the vet asked me to take her off the s~adenosyl-100 for a few days because that med makes her vomit. Then I got the remeron and just started that today. Last night she cried a lot of the night and vomited twice. She acted uncomfortable and she cries like that when she is going to vomit. Unfortunately it went on all night. I gave her some food today of prescription food and baby food chicken. She has not vomited that. She did seem a little shaky. I did give her the s- adenosyl also with food. ( a little) and she has kept that down. She is not crying now and is quiet in her bed and purring. I did give her subcu fluids twice. I guess I am upset to see her go from looking so much better one day to this the next. And it's been over three weeks since she was hospitalized. I am just wondering are the feedings responsible possibly for the problems.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

I understand that it will be stressful to see such a step back for Loki. Now based on what you have said, it does sound like she may have had a severe gastrointestinal upset with this spoiled food. And if her nausea was severe and her vomiting quite violent, then that may be why she cried last night. Though at the moment, it sounds like she is settling already if she is comfortable and purring. And if this is just due to that food being off and triggering severe GI upset, we'd expect her to start getting back to normal over the next 24 hours.

At this point, its good that she is on the Remeron (Mertazipine). Though if you find that she is struggling to eat even with that or vomits any more, then I would suggest speaking to her vet about combination treating with a stronger anti-nausea medication (ie Zofran, Metoclopramide) or even considering an antacid (ie Pepcid, Zantac, etc). If she is responding to the Remeon just now, we don't need to rush to use those as well; but it is worth having a back up plan if we see any more vomiting.

Overall, we can certainly see spoiled food cause the signs you have seen. Though if it is our trigger, it does only tend to be for the short term. So, you are doing perfectly here with the light diet and Remeron. So, we want to keep up with those and offer her food in small frequent meals. As long as there is no vomiting from here on out, we'd expect her to get back to normal over the next day. But any more vomiting or if her appetite doesn't pick up, then we'd want to consider speaking to her vet about those other nausea treatment options to ensure we nip this in the bud for her as quickly as possible.

All the best for Loki,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Belly is not tense or tender. I did think of that. The feedings were approx last night at 6 and 9 pm. Around midnight is when the vomiting and crying started.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I am glad it isn't, as it would raise concerns over pancreatitis if it was. But again I suspect its the nausea and general discomfort to the esophagus from vomiting that is causing the vocalization. If you imagine, the esophagus can get very raw when cats vomit since they do so with quite a lot of force. But if we can reduce nausea and vomiting, that tends to heal and settle on its own. But if you did see any more crying, you could have her vet also dispense a gastroprotectant (ie Carafate) to help with that.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions,please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I did talk to the vet but I was afraid because she was almost her old self ( except for not eating )and then to do this. It is stressful as you know to have to force feed a cat and make sure she gets enough. She even acted a little unsteady today but I just did a third small run of fluids. She seems better and is purring. Still cries out occasionally. Less shaky on her feet. Still keeping anything I give her down and so has kept the s adenosyl down.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I agree that it absolutely is no fun when we need to syringe feed (which is why sometimes I will place temporary feeding tubes for both kitty and owner sanity). But it sounds like you are on the right track with Loki here.

So, keep up the good work,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.