Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat was just fixed at the anti cruelty society. He has

Customer Question
My cat was just fixed...
My cat was just fixed at the anti cruelty society. He has been trying to urinate every five minutes. I shared this with Dr. Belding of the anti cruelty society. I also shared with her that their is blood in his stool. She prescribed a twice a day dosage of clavamox. What should I do? I already shared with Dr. Belding that I have zero income.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
10/12/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has he been trying to urinate?

2- Is he being vocal?

3- Is he lethargic?

He has been try to urinate like this for atleast since september 24th. He has not been crying. And while he was being fixed at the anti cruelty society, he contracted the flue. And yes he is very exhausted but he eats, drinks, and sleeps periodically.

Has he been seen by a vet since this started?

I took him to the animal welfare league. He was given an IV to hydrate him. He was diagnosed with having nasal and ocular discharge. His heart auscultation was found normal. His lungs were found to be harsh/wheezing on auscultation. His lymph nodes are normal. Then the form reads EEN wnl. and dental tartar.

To make sure I got this right, he has been trying to urinate every 5 minutes since September 24th, correct?

Yeap.
A chest xray was recommended. I had to decline because I had just spend my school funds on the IV they gave him along with the convenia shot.

Friend, in a male cat with the symptoms that you are describing as you may already know this is caused by either: Bladder stones, infections, inflammation of the bladder, etc. If he is not responding to the clavamox he may need a different antibiotic. In addition, he may need xrays to rule out bladder stones. I would also change his diet to wet food and get him to drink more by offering low sodium chicken broth. The flushing action of water helps with inflammation. I understand your financial limitations, but, we are very limited as to what you can do at home. I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter,What can I do at home to help him until I get him to a vet? And what course of treatment might a vet use to help him?

Change his diet to wet food and increase his water intake by offering low sodium chicken broth. As mentioned above the flushing action of water will help with the inflammation. The attending veterinarian will like change the antibiotics, may start him on prescription anti inflammatory medication, start him on prescription diet, etc. If this is related to bladder stones he may even need surgery to remove the stones.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian