Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My cat is 26 years old. She was fine this morning. It got

Customer Question

My cat is 26 years old. She was fine this morning. It got very warm here today. She started meowing loudly vomiting and now has diarrhea. Her nose is wet and cool any suggestions
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. I'm sorry to hear about Midnight's situation here today. With her being fine this morning, she had been eating and drinking normally over the last week or so? No weight loss? How long ago was her last vomit? Does she seem very depressed or painful? Is there any change of food or treats?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has been eating and drinking and acting normal until noon don't know if I said she is vomiting liquid or foam and has very loose stools. She does not go outside
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

That is good again that she's been eating, drinking, and acting normal until about noon today. The loose stools that she's having now don't surprise me. A lot of times, if a cat is having vomiting, they will have loose stools too. What is upsetting the stomach can progress to upset the colon. How long ago was her last vomit? Is she acting comfortable at this point?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She meows if I am by her but she is sitting by her litter box and gets in poops a little and gets out. At least she is up moving about. It is getting a little cooler in the house after turning on the air was 80 now 77. No change in food or treats. When she vomits it's like the size of a quarter
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for answering all those questions. Acute stomach upset and diarrhea in a cat her age can be due to a lot of things. The best thing would be some ingestion of a food / plant that just got her intestinal tract all worked up. In these situations, time has a good chance of letting things quiet down and getting back to normal. I have a 19 year old cat that has on occasion similar episodes and for her they are brought on when she eats some of the other cats food or sneaks outside to eat grass. At her age, could this be due to something more concerning? That is a possibility too. If she's not stressed, it would seem reasonable to pull up food and water for 6 hours to let her stomach rest and to see how things respond to that. If she's getting really dumpy, the vomiting continues, or she's acting painful - then she's progressing and a visit to the ER clinic is going to be a very good idea. They can at that point do a physical exam and some testing to see if the problem can be identified and then what therapy can be started up to help.