Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

It has been about two years since the first time my female

Customer Question
cat was diagnosed with a...
It has been about two years since the first time my female cat was diagnosed with a UTI. Since then we have visited the vet every 2-3 months with the same symptoms. The first sign is when my cat begins to urinate in the laundry room sink. Within a few weeks of this behavior she begins peeing bright red and is in tremendous pain. She cries all night and through out the day. She is constantly attempting to urinate but only a small amount is actually released. The vet usually puts her on Zeniquin which seems to improve her symptoms. I always pay for a urinalysis and culture at the vet and each time we get the same results. There is bacteria growth and they put her on Zeniquin. After the prescription is finished we return to the vet for another uranalyisis and we always get good news that the bacteria is gone. However within a few months the infection is back. I'm at a loss here. Each time I visit the vet it turns into a $600 plus visit. I love my cat dearly and I do not want to see her i
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
10/9/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Dori. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Has Dori been Xrayed, to see if she has bladder or kidney stones? That can be a cause of recurrent bladder infections.

Do you happen to have the culture reports that have been done? It would help to know if they always grow the same bacteria every time she has an infection, or if it is a different bacteria each time.

Have any supplements or diet changes been tried to prevent the infections? Cranberry and D Mannose can be helpful in preventing recurrent UTI. A diet that promotes a urine pH of 6.5 might also help, such as Royal Canin Urinary SO or Hills K/D diet.

Let me know what other questions you have, or if you have those culture reports. Rebecca

we have had X-rays performed twice and nothing. The first time she had started urinating blood and I took her to the vet we ran all sorts of tests and the vet told me she had a piometra (spelling??) so I paid for an emergency spay only to find out that it was a UTI the entire time. I do not have culture reports but i do believe the bacteria has been different on some occasions. In one case the vet prescribed Dori Amoxocillin because it was the correct medicine for whatever bacteria she had but unfortunately it made her violently ill so the vet put her on a 30 days of Zeniquin. Dori just finished 14 days on zeniquin again about a week ago and she is already urinating blood again.
I'm sorry, I missed the part about diet change. I read that a grain free diet might be a solution so I recently switched her to taste of the wild wet food only. I also purchased UTI medicine from Amazon called UTI+ from HomeoPet. It had great reviews and I've tried adding to her wet food.

It sure would help to see the culture and sensitivity reports, to know what the bacteria is and what antibiotics were tested in the lab to be the best one for that particular "bug". If Zeniquin is not the first choice antibiotic for the particular bacteria, not the best "drug for the bug", then a few bacteria stick around after the antibiotics are done and then they come back again. Without seeing the reports, I do not have as much to go on as your veterinarian does.

Grain free diets are not the same as diets that are urine acidifying. I like grain free for diabetes and weight loss, but they would probably not make a change in the pH of the urine.

Your "UTI +" may be helpful; there are no clinical studies to support their claims. I usually use cranberry, and D Mannose especially if the infection is an E. coli.

What are your thoughts on Purina Pro Plan Urinary Health? I thought about trying that. Where would I find the cranberry and D Mannose for my cat?

You can find D Mannose and cranberry extract online or at pet stores or stores that sell supplements. They help prevent infections, but do not treat active infections.

Purina Pro Plan Urinary Health is a good diet, but the ones I trust he most are the Royal Canin SO and the K/D.

If this were my own cat, after all these tests and recurrences, I would finish antibiotics, wait about a week and do another culture (not just a urinalysis). If any "bugs" grow, I would pick the top choice antibiotic on the list, and stay on it for 6 weeks at least. If it is an antibiotic that makes her vomit, I would try probiotics, and giving it 1/2 hour after a meal. If she absolutely will not tolerate it, then I would try the number 2 antibiotic on the list.

Can I help with or answer anything else?

How is Dori doing?

Kindly consider rating my answer, if you found it to be helpful. You can still get back to me with updates and questions after rating. Hope you get this infection cleared up. Rebecca

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian