CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 31 years of clinical experience, with the past 22 years being in a feline-exclusive practice.
74496554

My cats throwing up and licking around her
, thats

Customer Question

Customer: my cats throwing up and licking around her butt
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: thats pretty much it for the last 4 days
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: i can wait
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
she drinks about the same and has lost weight.
I changed cat litter just before this started happening and I just switched back to the white and blue crystals
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Her poo is really tiny about half the diameter it used to be
She is pooping around the house which she never used to do before
She is 15 and 1/2 years old and showed no signs that she is not a kitten
She bounces off the walls and is actively playing.
Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 2 years ago.

Hi! I'm CalCatDoc and I can help with your question.

Is your cat eating normally or has her appetite dropped off?

How long has she been vomiting and licking at her rear end?

Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 2 years ago.

Oh I see where you said 4 days.

Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 2 years ago.

If I had a patient like that in my exam room, just based on this brief history there are two conditions that I would be thinking very hard about. The first would be impacted anal sacs. Cats, like dogs, have two tiny sacs at the anal opening that are like a skunk's scent glands. Sometimes they fill up and become painful. They can even abscess and rupture. Very often these cats will lick at their rear end, have obvious constipation or smaller stools (because the anus is compressed), and in more severe cases vomiting secondary to the constipation. Treatment involves your veterinarian squeezing the sacs empty - this may or may not require sedation.

Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 2 years ago.

The second thing I would be worried about is megacolon, which is much more serious than impacted anal sacs. Megacolon is a condition where the muscles and nerves that move stool through the colon don't work properly anymore and the cat can get severely and dangerously constipated. This is a medical emergency and requires enemas and usually anesthesia to manually remove the hard, dry stool built up in the colon.

Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 2 years ago.

Neither of these conditions can be treated wt home or by the layperson or using home remedies, unfortunately. So it would be best for you to take kitty to your vet promptly.

Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 2 years ago.

Please let me know if you have further questions or need clarification.