Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

If my cat had a concussion what would the vet do?

Customer Question

If my cat had a concussion what would the vet do for him?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Boz. I do have a few additional questions to ask about him first if you don't mind:

1. Can you be more specific as to what sort of trauma Boz may have experienced which would cause a concussion?

2. What sort of symptoms does he have? How is he behaving in other words?

3. How long has he been acting this way?

4. Does he have other injuries?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This sounds a little odd but here you go: my husband was doing some wood working outside. He came in the house and for some reason he didn't see Boz sitting in the chair and tossed his measuring tape(a heavy digital one) and accidentally hit Boz right between the eyes on the face! Boz seemed ok (that was Sunday) that day but I notice Monday he had a little trouble jumping on the counter where he gets his treats! Then yesterday he seemed lethargic and he didn't try to go eat! I have been giving him milk replacer hoping that he gets nutrition and liquid all in one! I just need to know if he does have a slight concussion what would a vet do for him! Hypothetically say it's just a slight concussion what would I be told to do for Boz ? I am in a very bad place financially but trying to do the best I can! Please help !!😿
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the additional information.

This situation doesn't sound at all odd since trauma of this sort happens all the time! But, it takes a great deal of force to cause a concussion where cats and dogs are concerned so I'm not entirely certain that this is his problem.

But to specifically address your question (on the off chance that it is) as to what a vet might do if a feline patient has a mild concussion, much depends on what the physical exam reveals.

For example, if there's evidence of neurologic deficits (balance issues or if his eyes are abnormal), then mannitol might be given to reduce edema in the brain.

If the patient isn't eating or drinking, then intravenous fluids would be given for stabilization of blood pressure.

In some cases, I might not treat the patient with drugs at all since most cats will improve with time.

It's also possible that the trauma has nothing to do with his current symptoms although I'm not a huge fan of coincidence. If you have a rectal thermometer, you can take his temperature. Normal is between 100 and 102.5. If it's elevated, then it's doubtful that his symptoms are related to any trauma.

Other possible explanations include: viral or bacterial infection or Fever of Unknown Origin (which is exactly what it sounds like).

Cats with pancreatitis will sometimes behave as he is doing but they aren't typically running a fever.

Cats can also have "off" days and then revert to normal after 2-3 days at most.

At this point, I would continue to keep him fed and hydrated as best you can. You could offer human baby food (avoid those with onion or garlic in them) or boiled chicken which he may prefer to his regular cat food.

Or you could mix canned food with liquid (the milk replacer, low sodium chicken broth, tuna or clam juice) in a blender and use an eye dropper or small turkey baster to dribble this mixture into the side of his mouth.

I hope this helps and that he improves within a very short period of time. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

It's been a week since we last communicated about Boz. How has he been doing? Deb