Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Kitten has small of mange on back very ichy I have been

Customer Question
kitten has small amt of...
kitten has small amt of mange on back very ichy I have been using cchlorhexidine topically on kitten helps but does not get rid of mange. what medicine would be in a shot given by a vet to treat this skin condition.the name of medicine in the shot please
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
if vet gives a shot to get rid of mange on kitten what medicine is in the shot a vet would give to the kitten what is the name of medicine
10/4/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 2 years ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Sounds like you're working hard to clear this up for Heavenly. However, mange is very uncommon in cats. So, I have a few questions to try to help me provide you withe the best answer possible.

1) Was this diagnosed via skin scraping by your veterinarian, and if so do you know if this is sarcoptic mange or demodectic mange or another more atypical variety?

2) If this was no diagnosed by your vet, and based on the face mange is highly uncommon in cats, then could you please provide a picture of what you are contending with (attach via paperclip icon)?

3) Does he have more than one lesion and if only one where is it located, and what does it look like (scaly, scabbed, red/raised, itchy or not itchy, etc)?

Thanks for answering a few further questions.

And, to briefly answer your question about a shot, there is no mange we treat with an injection any more, although there is one type that could potentially be treated this way. Again, mange is very uncommon. In fact in all my years I have only seen it once and it was not the type that responds to an injection. So, instead we more typically see ringworm, bacterial infection or immune-mediated diseases (eosinophilic granuloma lesions, immune mediated diseases) or allergies that cause skin problems.

scraping by a vet said it is sarcoptic scaly skin and needs an injection what is in the injection you have not answered my question
kitten has more than one leasion and it is very ichy and it is dark looks like dead skin but is very ichy what type of medicine would be in an injection the name of the medicine in the injection please to irradicate this skin infection
please answer my question today as kitten is suffering with ichy skin leasions in more than one spot
please answer my question now

Typically, we treat sarcoptic mange simply by using Revolution for cats. This is an FDA approved topical flea/heartworm preventive product but is prescription. We use three doses given topically 2 weeks apart (active ingredient is selamectin). Alternatively, the vet could administer ivermectin as an injection in the same manner. I prefer the topical as it has usually be more effective. If your vet does not carry this, then you could order it online and have your vet approve this. Ask about it. It is really the simplest and most effective therapy.

But I do want to reiterate sarcopitc mange is rare in cats. So, if this does not clear, then reassessment is needed to figure out if this might be one of our more common cat lesions.In kittens I would think ringworm before sarcoptes. But, very possible to be this.

Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified