Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat went from acting 100% normal & jumping up on things

Customer Question
etc, to loss of SOME...
My cat went from acting 100% normal & jumping up on things etc, to loss of SOME function on his right side like a switch flipped (Wednesday night ). Dr gave some antibiotics, but he's not showing any improvement. Could it be pinched nerve?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
10/4/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Is it just his right hind leg that is affected or his whole right side?

Is he painful or have loss of feeling?

Does he have a head tilt, circling to the left, or other neurological signs?

What tests has his vet done so far?

Took xrays,head to toe, looking for any blockages, or stones or chrystals. (None found) Checked reflexes, pupils are equally reactive. He seems to have some loss of feeling on his right side, he accidentally walked in his waterbowl several times since Thursday morning & it's like he doesn't even realize his paw is submerged in the bowl of water, till he goes to walk & takes bowl with him, thereby spilling all the water.
Only his right side has been affected, from below neck, but no pain.

Thank you,

Do you think he has vision loss? Can he see the bowl before he stands on/in it?

Can I assume he doesn't have any of those signs I asked about before (ie circling)?

Any history of head trauma, falls, or accidents?

He circled a bit Wednesday night, but it wasn't fast circles. It was more like he was trying to get something off of his rear end area. It was to the right & only lasted maybe 10 min MAX.
I don't think he has vision loss as he follows something just fine, even if you cover one eye.
He didn't fall (as far as I know), other than sliding off my bed Thursday morning after I got up. He shook his head as though something was tickling his ear & lost his balance & grabbed into the comforter & slid to the floor.
He's normally an indoor/outdoor cat & I'm still awaiting toxicity results from a rather large & smelly puke pile I cleaned up Wednesday night a few hours before he began acting weird.

Hi again,

First, since Nosey's signs involve his whole right side and he has loss of sensation, this isn't likely related to a pinched nerve. These tend to only affect a single limb and often are painful. Furthermore, if he had had circling and is stepping in his bowl, I would be most concerned about a brain based issue. Now toxicity and diffuse infections (ie Toxoplasma --and likely why he was started on clindamycin) are a concern; but if his signs are all on his right side, then we'd also have to be wary of a lesion on the left side of his brain (since limb control is via the side of the brain opposite). In regards ***** ***** we can see these signs with sudden bleeds in the brain, soft tissue inflammation, cysts, focal infections (abscesses) or tumors.

Now it sounds like your vet has been thorough and we'd hope those toxicity results are clear. If they aren't, then they will guide treatment. Otherwise, we'd have to consider further diagnostic imaging. Specifically, in situations where brain based issues are suspect, MRI would be the test of choice as it will allow your vet to see the brain itself and what changes are present. At the same time, we often will take spinal fluid via a spinal tap to diagnose those infections concerns.

Overall, your vet's tests and treatments thus far have been reasonable. But if he isn't responding to treatment, then we'd be concerned of these additional differentials and need to consider MRI if toxicity is ruled out.

Best wishes for Nosey,

Dr. B.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian