Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat had surgery (peroneal urethrostyomy) stones about 3

Customer Question
Hi. My cat had surgery...
Hi. My cat had surgery (peroneal urethrostyomy) for urethral stones about 3 weeks ago. he did well with initial surgery then had some scarring over and was unable to void. The vet got him able to void again and for the last week, has been on Valium 2.5mg bid and Prazosin 0.5mg qd. Tonight is the first time I've noticed him starting to strain with voiding, voiding only about a quarter size. he is licking the area excessively. I've placed his cone back on, as the vet thought that he had licked so much even after we were cleared to remove it last time. I'm wondering if giving him one more dose of Prazosin tonight would help? I've come here for advice as it is Saturday night and his regular vet will not be available of course until monday.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
10/4/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 13 years. I'm sorry to hear about your boy. Male cats with urinary problems can be challenging.

I'm not clear from your description... is he still on the valium and proaosin now? When was the last time that he received a dose of these medications?

Dr. Stacy

he is still on both. I am supposed to start weaning him to Valium 2.5mg qd for a week then prn. But gave him bid since he seemed to still have issues. He has a week left of the Prazosin 0.5mg qd then would not be on it I assume, unless he had issues.
He had Prazosin this morning. The Valium at around 8am & 8pm

Okay. He can have another dose of prazosin.... as much as .5mg every 12 hours is fine.

How much the prazosin will help depends on why he is straining. Some cats continue to have inflammation in their bladder after surgery. They don't usually get blocked because the PU has widened their urethra, but they can still have bladder discomfort. Often these cats need one of the urinary diets. If the straining is coming from scar tissue the prazosin may not help either. What it really helps with is spasms in the urethra itself.

Go ahead and give another dose and watch closely to make sure he continues to be able to pass urine.

Best wishes

Dr. Stacy

Hi Heather,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian