Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Thanks response regarding Natasha and her hot spot. In

Customer Question

Thanks for your response regarding Natasha and her hot spot. In addition to the teaspoon of coconut oil I'm also apply the same to the hotspot. Since she can't reach it, I'm hoping direct contact will help it heal faster. Is this too much coconut for her system. She about 12 pounds.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

You're more than welcome although I'm sorry I was off my computer when you asked this additional question.

I've not found that skin lesions such as hot spots actually heal much faster if coconut oil is directly applied to them. However, if that's not your experience and you wish to continue using it, there shouldn't be problem with excessive absorption causing any problems for her.

Another option would be Vetericyn Spray which is safe even if ingested. I've also found it to be quite effective for a number of skin lesions in my patients. It's available at many pet/grain stores or online.

Deb

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. Do I still need to leave the cone on or can I take it off? But continue with the coconut once daily and the spray?
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

I think it might depend on how itchy she is as to whether you should leave the cone on or remove it.

If you remove it, then she may overgroom and create more lesions. I'd probably continue to leave it on for a few more days until the hot spot has healed. I'd also continue topical treatment as you are currently doing. Deb