Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Our indoor cat is about 13 years old and is a very sensitive

Customer Question

Our indoor cat is about 13 years old and is a very sensitive cat who hides every time company is in house. Labor Day we had a lot of stay over company for 5 days and when they left she had loose bowel movement and loose throw up. Otherwise she acted fine. As the month went on she has occasional throw up in morning (mostly solid) and bowel movements not in her litter box. She has about a 1/4 cup of Bonito flakes each morning as a treat, eats Science Diet Age Defying dry food, and drinks water. But we are concerned about her vomiting (heaves and heaves her whole body to get it out) and the fact that she is pooping places other than her litter box which is cleaned constantly and litter is changed frequently. Should we be concerned and take her to vet?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has been over 24 hours since I asked this question and I am not sure if it will be responded to or not. Please advise.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. In a nutshell, yes, Oreo's vet needs to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests and if such testing doesn't clarify why Oreo is vomiting to such an extent, an abdominal ultrasound is indicated. Her inappropriate eliminative behavior is likely to have arisen secondary to a medical problem and so behavioral reconditioning isn't appropriate until medical problems are ruled out.

Her symptoms are important but they're not pathognomonic of any one disorder. Primary gastrointestinal disorders such as inflammatory bowel disease (IBD/common) and neoplasia as well as major organ disorders - chronic renal or hepatic insufficiencies, chronic pancreatitis, e.g. - need to be considered in such a patient. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the two days awaiting an answer, her vomiting has stopped other than one small upset this morning. No other episodes of inappropriate bowel movements outside her box. We plan to watch her over the next few days because the vet visit and testing would be very traumatic for her.

I understand. I never argue with success. Thank you for the good update.

Hi Karen,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?