Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

I have a 7 year old cat who past 3 months has been having

Customer Question

I have a 7 year old cat who for the past 3 months has been having UTI issues. He has had the full battery of tests, no blockage just blood in urine and swelling, unable to make much urine. We finished Baytril this past Monday and today he is unable to do more than dribble. Is there ANYTHING I can give him to help him until I can get in with my vet on Monday? I have spent almost 600.00 in 3 months cannot afford emergency vet bill today.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

HI this is DRB and I would happy to help you with this.First, you have to take your kitty to the ER or it could cost him his life. So there is no choice there......however I can help you decrease the chance that you will have to make a return trip. Have the vets give you some Bethanecol and Prazosin for your kitty. This will relax his urethra and he will be bale to go. If necessary, he can stay on these drugs long term. Also make sure you are feeding him some canned food and get him a water fountain from drinkwell pet fountain. In addition I Would specifically recommend Purina Veterinary diet UU for the urinary tract. Also make sure you keep litter boxed scooped twice daily every day. In addition go to this website to learn how to make his environment more stimulating. Cats are very smart and get bored very easy and can have lower urinary tract disease from being stressed due to boredom. www.indoorpet.osu.edu Click on cats for pet owners.

I wish I could give you something to use at home to fix this, but everything he needs is an RX. The ER doc can give you bethanecol and prazosin. Definitely take your kitty in...this time he could be blocked and blockages kill.

Please hit rate my service and if needed I will be happy to answer any follow up questions. Most Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I Am compensated. Thank you very much, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can assist you further. I want you to be happy with my service. Thank you very much, DRB