Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My 17yr old female cat is squatting a lot, staring at her

Customer Question

Hi my 17yr old female cat is squatting a lot, staring at her litter box, still eating, drinking more though. She's lost weight the last few months. Can you give me advice on how to proceed without being charged a lot of money at the vets office. I don't want my cat in pain, but I can't afford multiple tests to find out the inevitable is coming. Please advise. Thank you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She's peeing, inconsistent bowel movement, no bm today
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 2 years ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Chex is sick. When I hear about an old kitty that has lost weight, I think about four different diseases. These diseases are (in no particular order) over-active thyroid, kidney failure, diabetes and cancer. As for staring at the litter box, I would suspect a bladder infection that could easily be treated with antibiotics.

I would strongly consider taking her to the vet for at least basic blood work and urinalysis. You should be able to have this done for less than $200. This will answer all but the question about cancer and if your kitty has something that is easily treatable, such as a bladder infection.

If you have financial concerns, I have a few recommendations. Do you have a local humane society near you? They often have a full service veterinary hospital open to the public that is usually less expensive than general practices. You also can consider Care Credit. This is a health care credit card that you can use for yourself and your pets. Lastly, the ASPCA has an entire page dedicated to folks who want to help others with their vet bills. Check that page out at https://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/financial-help-my-vet-bills.

I hope this answer helps you. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Hi, How is Chex this evening? Have you seen any improvement in her behavior? Feel free to contact me with any more questions.

Also, if you could consider rating our conversation, I would greatly appreciate it.

Best regards, ***** *****

Hi Kelly,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Amanda Mouradian-Dar