CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 31 years of clinical experience, with the past 22 years being in a feline-exclusive practice.
74496554

My cat had a tick we removed the whole thing, now 3 days

Customer Question

My cat had a tick we removed the whole thing, now 3 days later she won't even let us touch the area and is not acting luke herself
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 2 years ago.

Hi! I'm CalCatDoc and I can help with your question.

Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 2 years ago.

I need to ask a few questions first.

Where in the US are you located?

How old is your cat?

Does the area look red and/or swollen? Can you attach a photo to this message?

Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 2 years ago.

I'll check back in the AM for your response.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Male, 1 yr old. We live in illinois. No redness or swelling just a bump that has been there since we found the tick. Now he growles when we try and touch it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That was my 2nd Tim replying don't know y u didn't get it the 1st time
Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 2 years ago.

Tick bites often get a little local bacterial infection that sometimes needs antibiotics, but your local vet would need to make that call and do the prescribing. In the meantime, if he'll let you do warm compresses a couple of times a day that might help with his discomfort. Do not put any medication onto the skin or give him any human pain medications for safety reasons.

Fortunately, cats don't get Lyme disease at all so that's not a worry. In areas with bobcats there is a very dangerous tick-borne disease that cats can pick up, but I doubt you have them in your area.

If he is eating okay and acting like he feels fine otherwise, you can do what we call "watchful waiting" with just the warm compresses.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification. Hope he's back to normal soon!