Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I stupidly put Campho-Phenique on the neck scabs my cat has

Customer Question
from scratching fleas. I...
I stupidly put Campho-Phenique on the neck scabs my cat has from scratching fleas. I just read that camphor is poisonous and should never be used on pets. My cat has been unenergetic and under-the-weather for the past 2 days (I started the Campho-Phenique 2 days ago, dipping my finger into it and then rubbing into the fur at the scab sites on his neck. I just took a sopping wet (warm water) wash cloth with some No More Tears baby shampoo on it, and sponged off as much as I could. Should I do anything more ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
My cat's name is ***** ***** he is a sweet companion cat.
9/24/2015
Cat Veterinarian: CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi! I'm CalCatDoc and I can help with your questions.

Sorry to hear about your mishap with Casey. I need to do a little sleuthing about toxicity from this product in order to advise you. In the meantime, if I remember correctly it's a little oily? So I would use some rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball to try to remove any residue.

Is he eating okay still? Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Where on his neck did you put it? Is it possible he ingested any while grooming?

Found a link for very basic info. http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/camphor/

Still looking

Well I can't find much more. It is listed as mildly to moderately toxic.

Under the circumstances, the best thing to do is get Casey to your vet for a thorough exam and possible blood/urine tests if anything seems out of order. Camphor can cause neurologic problems (trembling, seizures, etc), kidney problems, and liver problems. You'd want to know about any of those before they get so bad as to cause collapse or death.

He might just need observation and supportive care for a couple of days (IV fluids, nutritional support). It's really hard to say. But the fact that he isn't acting right tells you there definitely is a problem, and there's no way to assure you that he will get well on his own.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Hope he's feeling better real soon.

CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian