Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Sorry and I have a little Cat name Minou ,Minou is 5 years

Customer Question

Sorry my name is ***** ***** I have a little Cat name Minou ,Minou is 5 years old and he is positive with HIV He has 4 sores on his body and I wonder what can I do I don't have a lot of money can I sill touch him. Is the wound contagious. Will he heal naturally? If not how can I help him without taking him to the vet
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Are you seeing any pus from the wounds?

How long have they been present?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paperclip icon on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you can't see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on any other site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Here are the photos you requested
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you,

Is he able to reach either of these to lick or scratch?

Are you seeing any pus from the wounds? Any odor?

How long have they been present?

Are they just around the neck?

When did you last treat for fleas? What did you use?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He has one on his back and two on his neck he can reach them all and lick them the one on his bag he's had for a little white but it's clearing up and not pussing or bleeding, the ones on his neck have just started to act out and those one are having puss and blood.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you,

First, these can be tricky situations with FIV+ cats. This is because they tend to have a degree of immunosuppression from that viral infection and this puts them at higher risk of infection and makes it harder for them to clear said infection. And that means he is less likely to heal naturally then a normal cat might be able to.

Now to start, this is not contagious to you. If there is pus, then the best option really would be oral/systemic antibiotics from your local vet. These would clear the infection and help that poor immune system to fight this off so it can heal this skin. Otherwise, I would note that we'd need to be proactive here. We cannot assume he will heal on his own, especially if he is licking/scratching the areas. Therefore, to start, we may need to place an e-collar (from his vet or pet store) to block his access. Use of this will of course depend just where the neck lesions lie since we don't want a collar rubbing them. If they would be rubbed by the collar, then we may need to use a baby tshirt +/- a light neck wrap (breathable gauze) to protect these areas from his counterproductive self trauma.

Further to this, we need to be cleaning those wounds 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, salt water, etc). All pus needs to be flushed away. Afterwards, as long as you are using one of the above to block his licking, you can apply an OTC antibiotic cream. Do make sure to avoid any with numbing agents as they are not cat friendly. These will hopefully remove as much infection as possible and give his body a chance to address these.

Finally, in case they are severe and you are seeing a lot of pus, I would note that there is help for him even if funds are limited. If you have a VCA veterinary hospital near you, then you might consider taking advantage of their free first consult offer (http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer).It would be an economical opportunity to get your wee one seen and offset any treatment costs. As well, Banfield offers the same (http://www.banfield.com/landing-pages/coupon). If you don't have either near you, then consider checking out the Humane Society's database (http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html)or ASPCA’s (https://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/financial-help-my-vet-bills).Both have a lot of branches nationwide, along with ties to other assistance organizations, that can keep down costs and subsidize care and surely will be willing to help get this sorted for Minou.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )