Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat that is an alley cat has just lost a great deal of

Customer Question

My cat that is an alley cat has just lost a great deal of weight this summer. She is vomiting every other day and had a couple of hairballs this week. Her hair is not pretty anymore and i am concerned she is eating but not gaining any weight. What can i do for her?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Kitty's symptoms of such frequent vomiting, weight loss, and continuing to eat but not gain weight are important symptoms but they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder. Frequent vomiting in a 7 year old often results from inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) but there are more differential diagnoses for such vomiting than I could post in this venue. Weight loss in spite of eating - and often eating excessively - suggests either diabetes mellitus or hyperthyroidism. The proper manner in which to proceed is to have Kitty's vet perform a thorough physical exam on Kitty including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. If test results aren't definitive, an ultrasound of Kitty's abdomen is likely to be recommended. Ultrasound - rather than X-rays - is a very sensitive imaging modality for the feline abdomen - in particular, of their gastrointestinal tract.

I understand that you didn't come to the site to be told to bring Kitty to her vet but that's the best advice I can give an owner with such a patient for I, too, would need to thoroughly examine Kitty and have those diagnostics performed to be more accurate for you. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it is IBD what would the vet do? She has never shown signs of increase water consumption or other signs of diabetes or hyperthyroidism. I have looked up both as symptomatic. I believe it is IBD. Can you help me? I do not have the money to have the additional tests run at this time.

Metronidazole - an antiinflammatory antibiotic - and/or prednisolone are usually prescribed when IBD is suspected. The smallest effective dose of these drugs is the correct dose. Both are prescription drugs, however, and would need to be prescribed by Kitty's vet. I understand your financial constraints. Her vet should be amenable to presumptive therapy as I mentioned. You might also ask about CareCredit - a revolving charge account many vet hospitals offer that can be used only for veterinary expenses. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you ever give a prescription via this service?

I regret that we're not allowed to prescribe through this venue. Our state boards of veterinary medicine don't consider our conversation to be a proper vet-pet-owner relationship.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wish i had known this in the beginning.

I understand. Please contact***@******.*** for any issues you may have unrelated to Kitty.