Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Thankyou last answer. I did the quantative pcr and new elisa

Customer Question
thankyou for your last answer...
thankyou for your last answer. I did the quantative pcr and new elisa test on both of my cats . Marmalade the * ( who I thinkis more 10 ) , his elisa came back negative - quantative pcr , was very low , confirming that the virus was latent/regressive not
active. my 3 year girl was negative in elisa and pcr so very happy . Marmalade bloods though do show iregaularites and I am still waiting to hear what they think it is so I would appreciate your opion as he is still loosing his appetite and loosing wieght.
He did have a felv vacination in march .... could this have started it off .... his wieght change etc.... I also have a resuce cat that is totally separated she is felv + with moderate to hight values of the virus , but first I would like to ask re: marmalade
and he is my priority . thank you rebecca.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/22/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Good to hear from you again. I am glad to hear that Marmalade's Elisa was negative.

Have any other blood tests been done on him: chemistries to check liver and kidney function, blood sugar, electrolytes, etc.? He could have an illness unrelated to feline leukemia.

My understanding is that an IFA test is the best way to rule out that a cat is infected and sick because of the virus.

thank you rebecca , I have attahced the test we have done on him so you can see .
the elisa is the practically the same as the ifa , but also doing the quantative pcr showed that he had very low values of the virus - also is attached the results .
please have a look at his blood works , I have tried to understand them .

No, the ELISA is not at all the same as IFA. ELISA tests for the presence of virus in the blood viremia. Many cats will be transiently viremic, but never get infected. IFA tests for a marker that shows that the blood cells have been infected and transformed by the virus, and are now producing viral DNA. These cats are infected, and will sicken and eventually die.

I did the tests in bristol university hospital lab - Langford and they recomeneded
the QPCR - FELINE LEUCEMIA VIRUS
FELV AG ( elisa ) + FELV DNA PCR please have a look at the results , here you will see the amount of the proviral in his dna

Yes, I did look at the reports and saw the PCR tests and amount of proviral. That does not tell me why Marmalade is losing weight and not eating well. It could be related to feline leukemia infection, or it could be something else. I would need to see his "CBC and chemistry" results. It says in the first report that these are "to follow", so these tests were done. Do you have the results of those tests?

I attahced 4 files - 2 complete blood works plus a test for thyroid which is ok .
marmalade blood test
marmalade extended blood

OK now I see the white blood counts and they are low. This could be related to feline leukemia, another viral disease, or bone marrow disease. Further viral testing and possibly a bone marrow biopsy might tell us more about this. He is not anemic, his red cell counts are good.

There are a few blood chemistries, showing that his kidney function may be reduced (high urea, high phosphate). I would do a urinalysis to learn more about his kidney function.

Great you can see them now .... in NOCHE they are the same test so have a look at the numbers , her are much worse.
Marmalade is 10 so he is my priority , what can I do to help increase the white blood cells

The only way to increase the cells, is to find out why they are low. That might involve testing for other viruses, or even a bone marrow biopsy.

i wont do a bone marrow biopsy ... he was tested for fiv and he is negative . shall I give him a general convenia antibiotic ?

Antibiotics treat bacterial infections, not viral. Bacterial infections usually cause high white blood cell counts, not low. You could try the Convenia, but I am not sure it will help.

thank you , so viral cannot be treated in any way ....

There are a very few anti viral drugs, that are specific for particular viruses, but no broad spectrum anti viral drugs like we have antibiotics.

Hi Anna,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Marmalade. How is everything going?
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian