Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My 9 yr old cat has a cyst on s cheek and i had m at the vet

Customer Question
hello my 9 yr old...
hello my 9 yr old cat has a cyst on his cheek and i had him at the vet in march because it was there. they checked the fluid inside it with a needle and said it is harmless and we could surgically remove it if we wanted to. since then it has grown 3x the size that it was. i just want to be sure that this is not something to worry about. it doesn't seem to hurt him
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/18/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Can you upload a photo of this cyst to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. I believe that you're describing an epitricial sweat gland cyst filled with clear fluid. These can be both benign or malignant in cats and so if it's rapidly increasing in size it would be best to excise and biopsy it.

I can send a photo of the cyst when i get home later. unfortunately i do not have one on my phone or anywhere right now. i am at work until 5. it started out like a small node and they used a needle to get fluid out of it and check it for cancer back in march. it has never gone away and has just continued to grow. it is the size of a grape now.

I understand. The general rule is to remove any skin neoplasm that is rapidly growing, ulcerated/bleeding, and/or bothers the pet or owner. I'll watch for your next post.

thank you so much i will send a photo later today

Sounds good! You're quite welcome.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian