Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I was just searching on skin lesions in cats. Mine has a

Customer Question
Hi! I was just searching...
Hi! I was just searching for information on skin lesions in cats. Mine has a nasty large scab between his collar bones, and another patch to the left of this on his neck. It was quite red and hard to start with but has turned into a large crusty scab. He was recently chipped and also had revolution applied about a week ago.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/17/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How many of these lesions does he have (as I can see 2 in the photo)?

Does Thomas have outdoor access?

How long has this been present?

Is he scratching these with his back feet at all?

Hiya he doesn't have access to outdoors. Thomas is new, I've had him just over 2 weeks, he's from a shelter. He has 2 lesions. I noticed him trying to scratch this morning.
He definitely had one of the lesions when he arrived but it was much smaller and red looking, more like a wound

Thank you,

Now looking at your photo, this actually looks more like a puncture then a lesion due to an infectious agent. So, fungal infections, mites, skin tumors, and bacterial dermatitis don't fit here. Therefore, it really is most suggestive of a traumatic wound (likely a bite with the spacing between the 2). Furthermore, the reason it is likely healing poorly will be due to secondary infection (which the photo does give an impression of pus here). In this case, with that pus-y discharge and duration of his signs, we really would want to be considering antibiotics +/- cat safe anti-inflammatories (ie Metacam). And if he came with these, then it'd be worth speaking to the rescue/shelter, as they may cover care or have a contracted vet that can address this for Thomas. Finally, since he is self-traumatizing the area and this is so often what prevents healing, do consider covering this region with a breathable cover (ie baby tshirt) between your flushing of the wound.

Overall, this doesn't fit with the common skin lesions that we see in the cat. Instead, these look like older puncture wounds that aren't settling due to secondary infection. Therefore, antibiotics would be ideal at this stage to clear the infection from the inside out as you topically treat to facilitate healing.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Thanks Dr B, we do have a dog ourselves but we have 2 other cats and he has not bitten them but I am wondering if he came into the shelter after he got bitten by a dog as he and his sister were both abandoned... that would make sense. I will get him onto some antibiotics and wash the wound, I have metacam, thank you!

You are very welcome,

I suspect the same in this case, especially as they do not look fresh in the photo. So, that would be a perfect plan of action here for sorting poor wee Thomas. :)

Take care,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian