Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

Vomiting lethargic ,weak,abdominal pain started last night

Customer Question

Vomiting lethargic ,weak,abdominal pain started last night got worse this morning
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Lucky . I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. These symptoms in Lucky are very concerning. As you can probably appreciate, there are quite a large number of possible causes for Lucky's symptoms including anything from an internal organ issue, an endocrine problem, a toxicity or even something like a blocked bladder. Male cats are very prone to this problem and this can result in symptoms you are seeing now. If this was the case then you wouldn't have seen your boy pee for the last 12 hours or so. Whatever the case, if he is quite lethargic and has been vomiting all evening, then you really do need to try and get him seen by your local vet as soon as possible if you can.

If you can't get Lucky seen straight away, then for now, please keep an eye your boy's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your boy doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting or open mouth breathing at all tonight, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Do try and convince your boy to drink now if you can. If he won't drink, or can't keep water down, then he will likely become very dehydrated very quickly (if he isn't already). Your vet will be able to check your boy over, run some diagnostics and place an IV catheter to start some intravenous fluids to rehydrate him. Hopefully you can get him seen by your local vet or ER vet now. I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I thought I would check up quickly to see how your boy Lucky is doing now? Hopefully his symptoms have settled now.

It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.

Kind Regards,

Dr E